Not a #Number
Not a #Number (NA#N) is an interactive, five-module prevention curriculum designed to teach youth ages 12-18 how to protect themselves from human trafficking and exploitation through information, critical thinking and skill development.
LSS provides this training to schools, community groups, and youth in treatment centers on request and free of charge. The length of each session is flexible, but it usually runs about an hour per session.
NA#N uses a holistic approach focusing on respect, empathy, individual strengths, and the relationship between personal and societal pressures that create or increase vulnerabilities. Effective prevention often starts by raising awareness of harmful stereotypes and attitudes that create vulnerabilities and keep youth from seeking help.
Through open conversations, engaging activities, the use of media, and opportunities for self-disclosure, youth will:
- Raise their awareness of what constitutes human trafficking and exploitation.
- Learn how to recognize recruitment tactics and understand vulnerabilities.
- Challenge harmful stereotypes and societal attitudes.
- Identify healthy support systems.
- Develop skills to safely navigate potential and existing exploitative situations.
- Learn how to access community resources when situations occur that increase their vulnerability (or if exploitation is already underway).