Share Today. Shape Tomorrow.
Foster Grandparents provide one-on-one mentoring a few hours a week to at-risk youth to help them boost their self-esteem and overall success. In this role, you can positively impact the lives of children and youth, find a meaningful way to give back and earn extra income.
Since 1965, Foster Grandparent volunteers have shared their wisdom and experience with children and youth to make impressions that have lasted a lifetime. They are role models, mentors and friends.
Depending on need, volunteers support youth in a variety of settings including at public and private schools, Head Start locations, shelters and at day care centers.
- Meeting new people, learning new things and having the satisfaction of helping others
- A non-taxable stipend of $2.65 per hour (you must serve a minimum of 10 hours of service per week to qualify)
- Transportation reimbursement to and from your service site
- Orientation and ongoing training opportunities
- Recognition events
- Accident and liability insurance while volunteering
- Possible daily lunch on site
To qualify as a volunteer:
- No prior experience is required
- You must be 55+ and in good general health
- Have compassion, patience, flexibility and respect for children and others
- Work well with diverse individuals and families
- Have dependable transportation available
Get Started Today
Feel free to contact us to learn more, talk about your needs and determine how this opportunity might work for you.
Contact the LSS representative in your area or call us toll-free at 888.205.3770.
LSS Foster Grandparents is a part of the national Senior Corps program, which is funded through the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Visit the Minnesota Senior Corps Facebook page for news updates and stories about Foster Grandparents services.