Become a Foster Grandparent
Share Today. Shape Tomorrow.
Since 1965, Foster Grandparent volunteers have shared their wisdom and experience with children and youth to make impressions that have lasted a lifetime. They are role models, mentors and friends.
Foster Grandparent volunteers provide one-to-one mentoring a few hours a week to children and youth to help them boost their self-esteem and overall success. In this role, you can positively impact the lives of young people, find a meaningful way to give back and earn extra income.
Depending on need, volunteers support youth in a variety of settings including at public and private schools, Head Start locations, shelters and at day care centers. Learn about becoming a Foster Grandparents partner site.
We partner with AmeriCorps Seniors to offer this service.
Volunteer Benefits Include:
- A non-taxable stipend* of $4 per hour (serve a minimum of 10 hours per week to qualify).
- Meeting new people, learning new things and having the satisfaction of helping others.
- Transportation reimbursement to and from your service site.
- Orientation and ongoing training opportunities.
- Recognition events.
- Accident and liability insurance while volunteering.
*The income earned from the stipend does not affect federal, state and other benefit programs eligibility.
To Qualify as a Volunteer:
- No prior experience is required.
- You must be age 55 or older and in good general health (if you are not within this age range you can view our alternative volunteer opportunities).
- Have compassion, patience, flexibility and respect for children and others.
- Work well with diverse individuals and families.
- Have dependable transportation available.
- Undergo a background check.
What Foster Grandparents are Saying
“The program is a win/win for me and the children. I feel like I am making a difference in their lives in so many ways. They have also made a difference in my life with their smiles, hugs, honesty and joy in learning new things. Being a Foster Grandparent volunteer has given me so much joy and a new purpose in this phase of my life.”
–Foster Grandma Roberta
“This program allows me to stay busy and useful. It keeps me young and moving! These children make me happy every day.”
–Foster Grandma Charlotte
“Foster Grandma Rita has built strong and loving relationships with every child in the service. The children light up when she enters the room and always want more hugs from her. She does a great job helping children feel unconditionally heard and loved.”
–Meredith Johnson of People Serving People
Get Started Today
We are currently accepting new volunteers. Complete our quick interest form to learn more, talk about your needs and how this opportunity will work for you.
To get started, we will collect your information and run the usual background checks first. Next, you will complete our online training and we will wait to match you with a site later, as appropriate based on COVID-19 recommendations.
You can also contact the LSS representative in your area or call us toll-free at 888.205.3770.
LSS Foster Grandparents is funded by the national AmeriCorps Seniors program, formerly known as Senior Corps.
Visit the Minnesota Senior Corps Facebook page for news updates and stories about Foster Grandparents services.