Become a Foster Grandparent
Share Today. Shape Tomorrow.
Foster Grandparent volunteers traditionally provide one-on-one mentoring a few hours a week to at-risk youth to help them boost their self-esteem and overall success. In this role, you can positively impact the lives of children and youth, find a meaningful way to give back and earn extra income.
In this new COVID-19 environment, Foster Grandparents are also finding ways to support teachers and students remotely through phone and video chat.
Since 1965, Foster Grandparent volunteers have shared their wisdom and experience with children and youth to make impressions that have lasted a lifetime. They are role models, mentors and friends.
Depending on need, volunteers support youth in a variety of settings including at public and private schools, Head Start locations, shelters and at day care centers. Learn about becoming a Foster Grandparents partner site
Volunteer Benefits Include:
- Meeting new people, learning new things and having the satisfaction of helping others
- A non-taxable stipend of $3.00 per hour (you must serve a minimum of 10 hours of service per week to qualify)
- Transportation reimbursement to and from your service site
- Orientation and ongoing training opportunities
- Recognition events
- Accident and liability insurance while volunteering
- Possible daily lunch on site
To qualify as a volunteer:
- No prior experience is required
- You must be 55+ and in good general health
- Have compassion, patience, flexibility and respect for children and others
- Work well with diverse individuals and families
- Have dependable transportation available
Get Started Today
We are currently accepting new volunteers. Complete our quick interest form to learn more, talk about your needs and how this opportunity will work for you.
To get started, we will collect your information and run the usual background checks first. Next, you will complete our online training and we will wait to match you with a site later, as appropriate based on COVID-19 recommendations.
You can also contact the LSS representative in your area or call us toll-free at 888.205.3770.
LSS Foster Grandparents is funded by the national AmeriCorps Seniors program, formerly known as Senior Corps.
Visit the Minnesota Senior Corps Facebook page for news updates and stories about Foster Grandparents services.