Volunteer with Us
Join us to make a difference in your community! By sharing your time and talents, you can inspire hope, change lives and build community. Everyone is invited to volunteer with LSS. We serve all people and welcome diversity in our volunteers.
Our work statewide is all about caring for our neighbors. It is about volunteers like you — dedicated to being active citizens in the community and willing to support others. Volunteers allow LSS to touch the lives of 1 in 65 Minnesotans each year. In 2017, over 8,000 LSS volunteers contributed 600,000 hours of service throughout our services across Minnesota.
LSS is a certified Service Enterprise organization. This certification means that we have conducted extensive internal planning to integrate volunteers into our day-to-day operations and strengthen capacity.
Ways to Volunteer
At LSS, there are many meaningful ways to share your time. Our volunteer opportunities vary throughout the state, and you can search for opportunities by area, service, time commitment and more.
Individual volunteers can build one-on-one relationships with older adults, children and people with disabilities. We offer ongoing and one-time volunteering opportunities. Opportunities range by area and need, and might include gardening, preparing a community meal, answering phones, helping children with camp activities, assembling kits for babies, office support, providing a family caregiver with a break and more.
Group volunteer opportunities vary throughout the state depending on our needs and the LSS services that are available in your community. Often youth groups, organizations, businesses, clubs, churches and others help with yard work, indoor home projects, making meals, children’s activities at our camps and more. Sometimes volunteer groups make a financial or in-kind donation to support their service activity.
In addition, we offer “God’s work. Our hands.” service projects for congregations each year.
Learn more about how volunteering at LSS works.
Why Volunteer with LSS
- Many unique opportunities are available statewide
- Give back to others and help change lives
- Spend your time doing something rewarding
- Be a positive role model
- Transform your community
- Team building with your group
- Learn skills, share your talents, and build your resume
- Meet new people
- Have fun!
Other Ways to Get Involved
- Make an in-kind donation of goods
- Host a donation drive — Groups can run a drive to benefit LSS. If you run a drive, please be sure to track your volunteer hours for the project. To us, your volunteer time matters regardless if you were at our site or not.
- Explore internship opportunities
- Make a financial donation
- Become an advocate for changing lives