Become a Senior Companion
Every day in communities across Minnesota and North Dakota, LSS Senior Companion volunteers, age 55 and older, are sharing their time and talents — enhancing the lives of older adults to assist them in staying active, healthy, and remaining independent.
By volunteering as a Senior Companion, you can make a positive difference by providing weekly visits that keep older adults feeling well — both physically and emotionally.
This LSS service is provided in partnership with AmeriCorps Seniors, formerly known as Senior Corps. This is a national service agency that connects volunteers with the people and organizations that need them the most.
What Senior Companions Do:
Senior Companions provide non-medical support to older adults through weekly visits and:
- Offer encouragement, support and friendship
- Share hobbies and interests such as playing cards, doing a puzzle, or going for a walk
- Provide transportation to medical appointments, grocery shopping, and errands
- Assist with correspondence and simple household tasks
- Provide a break for family caregivers
Volunteer Benefits Include:
- *A non-taxable stipend of $4 per hour (with 10 or more hours of service per week)
- Doing something new, meaningful, and fun
- Being matched with someone who shares your interests
- Increased health and longevity from serving
- Training that includes orientation, team meetings, and workshops
- Meal allowance (when required criteria are met)
- Transportation reimbursement and accident/liability insurance while volunteering
*The income earned from the stipend does not affect federal, state and other benefit programs eligibility.
To Qualify as a Volunteer:
- No prior experience is required
- Be age 55 or older and in good general health
- Have access to dependable transportation and be willing to travel in your service area
- Have compassion, patience and respect for others
- Be flexible and available with service activity schedule
- Work well with diverse individuals, families, groups, and organizations
- Undergo a background check
Get Started Today
To become a Senior Companion or learn more, please contact us or call 651.310.9440 (Minnesota) or 701.389.2293 (North Dakota).
We are currently accepting new volunteers. To get started, we will collect your information and run the usual background checks first. Next, you will complete our online training and we will wait to match you with an older adult later, as appropriate based on COVID-19 recommendations.
Learn about becoming a Senior Companion partner site.
Senior Companion is part of AmeriCorps Seniors, a federal program. Since 1974, Senior Companion volunteers have shared their time and compassion with older adults in their communities.