Morning Out & Afternoon Adventures | Group Respite Care
LSS group respite care provides a much-needed break for family caregivers and an enjoyable outing for older adults age 60+ in a social group setting. For general inquiries about LSS Caregiver Support & Respite Services, call 866.787.9802.
A Break for Caregivers
Caring for a loved-one, whether it be a parent, spouse or sibling, can sometimes be challenging physically, mentally and emotionally. Morning Out Group provides safety, security and socialization for seniors while their caregiver takes a break.
Group respite provides caregivers:
- Peace of mind knowing your loved-one is in a safe, enjoyable environment.
- An opportunity to shop, take care of personal needs or run errands.
- Time to rest from the full time job of caring for a loved one.
Even just a few hours alone can make big difference.
Socialization for Older Adults
Group respite provides a dynamic social setting that older adults requiring special care rarely encounter. They have the opportunity to socialize while trained volunteers facilitate activities.
Activities may include:
- Coffee and conversation
- Crafts, table games and cards
- Guided reminiscing and discussion
- Gentle physical exercise
- Movies and radio shows
- Musical entertainment
- Various other activities
To ensure a pleasant experience for the group, we ask that Morning Out Group participants be:
- Capable of walking with minimal assistance
- Continent or have managed incontinence
- Able to feed themselves
- Non-violent toward self or others
- Responsive and able to participate in group settings
- Independent in taking medication
- 60+ years of age
In-home respite care may be more appropriate for individuals who do not meet all of the above attributes.
Locations & Details
First Lutheran Church
912 Lake Avenue
Every first and third Wednesday
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Christ the King Lutheran Church
1040 South Grade Road
Every first and third Tuesday
11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Our Saviors Lutheran Church
610 13th Street North
Mondays, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Thief River Falls
Zion Lutheran Church
505 Main Avenue North
Thursdays, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Respite Volunteers are Needed
Friendly, caring Morning Out volunteers participate in activities such as playing cards and craft-making. Learn more about becoming a respite volunteer.