Morning Out Group Respite Care
Group respite care provides a much-needed break for caregivers and an enjoyable outing for older adults aged 60 or older. Morning Out Groups offer care for older adults in a social group setting. For general inquiries about LSS Caregiver Support & Respite Services, call 1.800.488.4146.
A Break for Caregivers
Caring for a loved-one, whether it be a parent, spouse or sibling, can sometimes be challenging physically, mentally and emotionally. Morning Out Group provides safety, security and socialization for seniors while their caregiver takes a break.
Group respite provides caregivers:
- Peace of mind knowing your loved-one is in a safe, enjoyable environment.
- An opportunity to shop, take care of personal needs or run errands.
- Time to rest from the full time job of caring for a loved one.
Even just a few hours alone can make big difference.
Socialization for Older Adults
Group respite provides a dynamic social setting that older adults requiring special care rarely encounter. They have the opportunity to socialize while trained volunteers facilitate activities.
Activities may include:
- Coffee and conversation
- Crafts, table games and cards
- Guided reminiscing and discussion
- Gentle physical exercise
- Movies and radio shows
- Musical entertainment
- Various other activities
To ensure a pleasant experience for the group, we ask that Morning Out Group participants be:
- Capable of walking with minimal assistance
- Continent or have managed incontinence
- Able to feed themselves
- Non-violent toward self or others
- Responsive and able to participate in group settings
- Independent in taking medication
- 60+ years of age
In-home respite care may be more appropriate for individuals who do not meet all of the above attributes.
Respite Volunteers are Needed
Friendly, caring Morning Out volunteers participate in activities such as playing cards and craft-making. Learn more about becoming a respite volunteer.