Energy Assistance Program
Serving Residents of Crow Wing County
The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is an important resource to help income-eligible households manage their utility bills.
Tri-County Community Action is our partner in providing weatherization assistance. For more information on weatherization, please refer to the Minnesota Weatherization Assistance Program website.
COVID-19 Update: Your Safety Is Important to Us!
Effective Friday, March 20, 2020, in response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), Energy Assistance is modifying how we are delivering our service to the public. Lutheran Social Service East Brainerd Office is now closed to the public, to ensure your safety and the safety of our staff. Energy Assistance will still be operating Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. via phone, drop box, mail, email and/or fax. We will also continue to have staff on-call on the weekends for emergency situations.
If you have an application* or additional documents that need to be turned in, we ask that you use one of the following methods:
- Phone – 218-829-5000 (press 1 for Energy Assistance)
- If you have questions about the program or if the request for information that you received can be answered over the phone.
- Drop box located on the backside of the East Brainerd Mall (716 E St, Brainerd, MN)
- Any new application, request for additional documents or other information can be put in here.
- Mail – 716 E St, Brainerd, MN 56401
- Email – If you can scan documents or information, send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax – 218-829-9726
*If you would like an application mailed to you, please contact our office; otherwise the application is available towards the bottom of this website.
Energy Assistance can help manage household utilities by:
- Authorizing a primary grant for the heating season
- Helping you manage an unexpected utility crisis
- Setting up a reasonable payment plan and helping you negotiate with your utility vendor
- Providing financial assistance for furnace repair or replacement
- Providing referrals to weatherization services
- Providing referrals to other community-based organizations
Homeowners and renters are eligible, and all fuel types qualify – even self-cut wood. Applications are accepted September 2019 through July 1, 2020. Eligibility is determined via a written application. Households that have been on the program automatically receive a new application in the fall.
2019-2020 Income Guidelines
Energy Assistance guidelines are based on 50% SMI or 110% of federal poverty guidelines, whichever is greater.
Energy Assistance Program
One Month Income Guidelines
In response to COVID-19, starting April 1, 2020 the MN Energy Assistance Program will require only one month of income proof for all household members, except any wages for children K-12.
Income is verified for the one month period prior to application as follows.
Applications Signed in the Month of
Gross Income Verification for the Month of
|August 2019||May, June July 2019|
|September 2019||June, July, August 2019|
|October 2019||July, August, September 2019|
|November 2019||August, September, October 2019|
|December 2019||September, October, November 2019|
|January 2020||October, November, December 2019|
|February 2020||November, December 2019, January 2020|
|March 2020||December 2019, January, February 2020|
|April 2020||March 2020|
|May 2020||April 2020|
|June 2020||May 2020|
|July 2020||June 2020|
To learn more, please contact us:
LSS Energy Assistance Program
716 E Street
Brainerd, MN 56401
Phone: 218.829.5000 | Toll Free: 800.829.5902
The Energy Assistance Program is funded by the State of Minnesota.