Energy Assistance Program
Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota (LSS) Energy Assistance Program Serves Residents of Crow Wing County
The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is an important resource to help income-eligible households manage their utility bills.
Tri-County Community Action (TCC) is our partner in providing weatherization assistance. For more information on weatherization, please refer to the Minnesota Weatherization Assistance Program website.
Energy Assistance Program Facts
- Renters and homeowners are eligible.
- Assets such as the home are not considered in determining eligibility.
- Grants range from $200 - $1,400, based on household size, income and fuel cost
- The average grant is about $500
- In addition to the initial grant, additional crisis funds are available to:
- Help pay a disconnect notice or get an emergency fuel delivery
- Receive a maximum crisis benefit up to $600
- Help homeowners get their broken furnace repaired or replaced
The 2022-2023 Energy Assistance application deadline is May 31, 2023. Applications are accepted September 2022 through May 31, 2023. Applications submitted after May 31, 2023 can't be accepted.
Energy Assistance Program Eligibility
Homeowners and renters are eligible and all fuel types qualify – even self-cut wood. Applications are accepted September 2022 through May 31, 2023. Eligibility is determined via a written application. Households that have been on the program automatically receive a new application in the fall.
2022-2023 Income Guidelines
Energy Assistance Program guidelines are based on 50% SMI
|Household Size||Energy Assistance Program Three Month Income Guidelines|
Proof of gross income for the past three months is required for all household members except wages for children K-12.
Income is verified for a three month period prior to application as follows.
|Application Signed in the Month of||Gross Income Verified for the Months of|
|August 2022||May, June and July 2022|
|September 2022||June July and August 2022|
|October 2022||July, August and September 2022|
|November 2022||August, September and October 2022|
|December 2022||September October and November 2022|
|January 2023||October, November and December 2022|
|February 2023||November 2022, December 2022 and January 2023|
|March 2023||December 2022, January 2023 and February 2023|
|April 2023||January, February and March 2023|
|May 2023||February, March and April 2023|
For additional information please contact our office using one of the following methods:
Phone: 218.829.5000 (press 1 for the Energy Assistance Program)
Over the phone services include:
- Requesting an application
- Answering any questions you have
Drop box located at the back entrance of the East Brainerd Mall (716 E. St., Brainerd, MN 56401)
- Blank applications are available next to the drop box
- Completed applications, requests for additional documents or other information can be put here
- Mail your completed application and any additional documents to us at 716 E. St., Brainerd, MN 56401
- If you are able to scan your documents or information, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more, please contact us:
LSS Energy Assistance Program
716 E. St.
Brainerd, MN 56401
Phone: 218.829.5000 | Toll Free: 800.829.5902
The Energy Assistance Program is funded by the State of Minnesota.