Energy Assistance Program
Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota (LSS) Energy Assistance Program Serves Residents of Crow Wing County
The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is an important resource to help income-eligible households manage their utility bills.
Eligibility is determined by completing an application. Crisis funds can assist homes that have received a disconnect notice, are already disconnected, or have low or empty fuel tanks.
The Energy Assistance Program is a part of the nationwide Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). LIHEAP provides federally funded assistance to reduce the costs associated with home energy bills, energy crises, weatherization, and minor energy-related home repairs.
Tri-County Community Action (TCC) is our partner in providing weatherization assistance. For more information on weatherization, please refer to the Minnesota Weatherization Assistance Program website.
Energy Assistance Program Facts
- Renters and homeowners can apply.
- Assets such as the home are not considered in determining eligibility.
- Grants range from $200-$1,400 based on household size, income and fuel cost. Grants average around $500.
- In addition to the initial grant, crisis funds are available to:
- Help pay a disconnect notice or get an emergency fuel delivery.
- Pay an energy bill for households that have a member 60 years or older.
- Maximum crisis benefit up to $600.
- Help homeowners get their broken furnace repaired or replaced.
The 2023-2024 Energy Assistance Program application deadline is May 31, 2024. For additional information, please contact us using one of the following methods:
- Phone: 218.829.5000 (press 1 for the Energy Assistance Program)
- Mail: 716 E St., Brainerd, MN 56401
- Email: If you are able to scan your documents or information, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2023-2024 Income Guidelines
Energy Assistance guidelines are based on 50% SMI.
|Household Size||Energy Assistance Program
One Month Income Guidelines
Proof of gross (before taxes) income for full calendar month prior to the month you apply is required for all household members.
|Application Signed in the Month of||Gross Income Verified for the Month of|
|August 2023||July 2023|
|September 2023||August 2023|
|October 2023||September 2023|
|November 2023||October 2023|
|December 2023||November 2023|
|January 2024||December 2023|
|February 2024||January 2024|
|March 2024||February 2024|
|April 2024||March 2024|
|May 2024||April 2024|
To learn more, please contact us:
LSS Energy Assistance Program
716 E St.
Brainerd, MN 56401
Phone: 218.829.5000 | Toll Free: 800.829.5902
The Energy Assistance Program is funded by the State of Minnesota. Learn more about Minnesota's Energy Assistance Program.