Partner With Us
LSS partners with AmeriCorps Seniors, formerly known as Senior Corps. This is a national service agency that connects volunteers, age 55 and older, with the people and organizations that need them the most.
We work with many local nonprofit organizations to create meaningful opportunities for older adults in Minnesota and North Dakota to use their talents, stay active and earn extra income through these programs. All volunteers must pass background checks. The Foster Grandparent Program is offered in Minnesota and the Senior Companion Program is offered in Minnesota and North Dakota.
Ways to Partner With Us:
Foster Grandparent volunteers support youth in the classroom at least 10 hours each week:
- Regular, focused attention allows children to improve self-esteem, academic success, school readiness, social and emotional development and academic performance.
- Foster Grandparents receive training, a stipend of $3.15/hour, and transportation reimbursement.
- Sites may include public and private schools, Head Start locations, early learning centers, shelters and day care centers.
Senior Companion volunteers offer friendship, non-medical support and transportation to older adults through weekly visits at home and in the community.
- Consistent visits a few hours a week allow older adults to develop relationships, get to appointments and remain as active, healthy and independent as possible.
- Senior Companion volunteers must pass motor vehicle record checks.
- Volunteers receive training, a stipend of $3.15/hour and transportation reimbursement.
Benefits for Partner Organizations
- Volunteers serve consistently to develop meaningful relationships with your organization and the youth/older adult.
- LSS conducts all initial volunteer interviews, driving/background checks, and approves volunteers for service.
- We provide initial and ongoing volunteer training and hold recognition events. We are available to support you throughout the partnership.
- Our program is based on the needs of schools, children and the volunteers.
How It Works
As a partner site, your organization will:
- Designate your primary contact for the partnership. We will go over details with them.
- Interview LSS-approved volunteers to see if they are a good fit. If so, provide site-specific training.
- Match volunteers with children/older adults and help them develop/maintain plans for the individuals they serve.
- Supervise, evaluate and recognize volunteers.
- Identify the site: Foster Grandparent hosts provide the volunteer location. For Senior Companions, the visits happen at the older adult’s home or in the community.
- Make a nominal financial contribution to help cover the costs of transportation, recognition and meals which vary by program. The federal agency (CNCS) covers the cost of volunteer stipends.
Become a Partner Today!
What People Say About LSS AmeriCorps Seniors
"Foster Grandma Rita has built strong and loving relationships with every child in the program. The children light up when she enters the room and always want more hugs from her. She does a great job helping these children feel unconditionally heard and loved.” – Meredith Johnson of People Serving People
“I don’t know what I’d do without Patricia - I don’t get a chance to go out by myself much. She is much more than a volunteer to me- she’s a friend. She’s been with me through thick and thin.” – Judy Anderson
“This allows me to stay busy and useful. It keeps me young and moving! These children make me happy every day.” – Foster Grandma Charlotte