2017 Annual Report Highlights
As one of the largest social service organizations in the state, LSS responds to Minnesotans’ evolving needs with innovation and collaboration. More than 6,800 individuals and 800 congregations, along with nearly 500 organizations, joined together to provide service to our neighbors that inspires hope, changes lives and builds community.
In 2017, donations and partnerships with individuals, corporations and congregations allowed us to continue supporting one in 65 Minnesotans when they needed it most. These highlights offer a glimpse of the achievements your generosity made possible.
Improving Financial Wellness
- More than 99 percent of Minnesotans for whom we provided student loan counseling avoided default and delinquency.
Expanding Veteran Caregiver Counseling
- LSS expanded caregiver counseling to veterans in seven additional counties through a Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs grant.
- Our newly-launched Circle of Welcome program works with congregations and other partners to sponsor new refugee families, about half of whom arrive with children.
Supporting People With Disabilities
- We supported more than 900 individuals with disabilities in living the life they want to live — at lower cost to tax payers.
- Host Home families in three new counties -- Rice, Chisago and Becker -- opened their homes to people with disabilities.
- Record donations and grants allowed for improvements to make the Camp Knutson waterfront beach area more accessible for campers.
Ending Youth Homelessness
- The Center for Changing Lives Duluth opened its doors in June, adding four units to our Renaissance Transitional Housing service and 10 apartments for youth experiencing homelessness.
- More than 80 percent of youth exiting our shelters or transitional housing services went on to stable living situations.
Improving Health for Older Adults
- We established new Senior Companion contracts with two additional hospitals to increase older adults’ health outcomes and reduce healthcare cost through community-based supports.