Guardian and Conservator Services
LSS Supported Decision-Making and Guardianship Options serves adults with dementia, cognitive impairment, developmental disabilities, mental illness, chemical dependencies, and traumatic brain injury throughout Minnesota and North Dakota. Supported Decision-Making and Guardianship Options is appointed by the court to provide Guardianship/Conservatorship services to adults who need help making decisions regarding their health care, living situation and/or finances.
We welcome inquiries from counties, attorneys and individuals. If you as an individual have questions or need help, we will work with you to determine if you or your family would benefit from county engagement. We can connect you with the appropriate county resources as needed.
Our Person-Centered Approach
We are committed to offering a high-quality, client-centered approach to care and decision-making.
An LSS Guardian is appointed to help individuals manage their living situation, health needs and/or financial affairs. LSS Guardians work with medical and social providers and caregivers to ensure the best care possible for the individuals we serve.
An LSS Conservator is appointed specifically to manage and preserve the assets of a protected individual. When appointed Conservator, LSS secures assets, pays bills, and manages an individual's financial, real estate, and other assets.
LSS Guardians and Conservators meet with individuals regularly; their best interests and personal preferences are carefully considered when making decisions about:
- Selecting a place of residence and living arrangements
- Providing support for a healthy lifestyle, including food, healthcare, and social, educational and recreational needs
- Managing finances and contractual agreements
- Approving medical or professional care
Commitment to Quality
- LSS Guardians/Conservators are professionals who are trained and certified through the Center for Guardianship Certification (CGC).
- LSS Guardianship services follow the National Guardianship Association (NGA) standards of practice and participate as members of the Minnesota Association of Guardianship and Conservators (MAGiC) and the Guardianship Association of North Dakota.
- Supported Decision-Making and Guardianship Options is accredited through the National Council on Accreditation (NCOA).
We work closely with county social services, community-based service providers, courts, legal representatives and trustees to ensure the well-being of individuals who can no longer make personal or financial decisions for themselves but are able to continue living, participating and contributing in their community.
Guardianship services are available throughout Minnesota and North Dakota. Our offices are located in the following communities:
In North Dakota:
To make a referral for LSS to be appointed as the individual’s guardian or conservator, please complete an LSS referral form: Guardianship referral form. Please submit the completed form to email@example.com or fax to 651.227.2797.