Sheltered Ground Transitional Living Program
If you are a young adult working toward renting a home or apartment on your own, we may be able to help.
How the Program Works
You search for and choose your own house or apartment! There are many ways you can go about finding a place to rent. Many young people have found apartments using the following websites:
Atwood Property Management │ Craigslist Mankato│ RadRenter.com │ RentMSU
(LSS is not affiliated with, nor do we endorse any of the above websites or property management entities.)
Safety first! LSS staff can help you find appropriate housing and can even accompany you to visit apartments you are considering.
LSS will provide rent assistance and support on your journey to independence. TLP will cover the first month’s rent. Your case manager will work with you to create an individualized plan in which you will assume greater responsibility for paying rent each month. Rent assistance tapers off each month until you are self-sufficient and able to pay rent on your own.
To participate you must:
- Be 16-23 years old
- Be working and/or in school
- Live on your own (no roommates)
- Attend and complete the “On My Own” Independent Living Skills course offered at The REACH Drop-In Center
- Attend a 6-hour renter’s rights and responsibilities course titled Rentwise
- Set goals and work with your case manager weekly to review your progress and create strategies to achieve your goals