/ Housing & Assistance /
Central Minnesota Prevention Assistance

Central Minnesota Prevention Assistance

We offer a variety of assistance to eligible households to achieve housing stability and increase self-sufficiency. While the majority of our services take referrals through Coordinated Entry, some services provide direct assistance or are the contact point for Coordinated Entry. For more information about our Central Minnesota services below, please email hope.housing@lssmn.org or call 218.824.1437.

HUD Transitional Housing  (Crow Wing, Stearns, Benton, and Sherburne Counties)

This service provides rental assistance and case management for up to 24 months for families and single adults who are experiencing homelessness, have very low or no income and have a verified disability.

DHS Transitional Housing  (Crow Wing, Stearns, Benton, and Sherburne Counties)

We offer up to 24 months of case management and six months of rental assistance for families with children in the household who meet the federal definition of homeless or the state definition of homeless-doubled up. Child Protection Services involvement and individuals experiencing a first pregnancy are considered.

Long Term Homeless Assistance (Housing Units in Crow Wing and Morrison Counties)

This service serves families and single adults and provides rental assistance and case management for up to five years. To be eligible, you must have experienced homelessness for one continuous year or have experienced four or more episodes of homelessness in the past three years totaling one year.

Brainerd Rental Assistance  (Crow Wing, Todd, and Morrison Counties)

This service offers short-term rental assistance and case management for 6-24 months. We also offer Rapid Rehousing (transition costs and case management) as well as direct assistance to eligible households. For prevention funding, a household must be facing eviction within 14 days. To be eligible for the Rapid Rehousing program, you must be currently experiencing homelessness or doubled-up.

Central Minnesota Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program (FHPAP) (Stearns, Benton, Sherburne, and Wright counties)

Serving families and single adults who are currently experiencing homelessness or at risk of eviction, this services provides short-term rental assistance and offers case management from 6-24 months.

Mental Health Initiative Program (Crow Wing, Todd, Morrison, Aitkin, Cass, and Wadena counties)

This program offers short-term financial assistance and case management to address mental health barriers affecting housing stability. Referrals must be received from a county case manager or the Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA).

Lutheran Social Service and Tri-County CAP Crow Wing Weatherization and Energy Assistance Program

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is an important resource to help income-eligible households in Crow Wing County manage their utility bills and receive weatherization grants. Tri-County Community Action (TCC) is our partner in this program.

Information on eligibility and how we can help:

  • Renters and homeowners are eligible
  • Assets, such as the home, are not considered in determining eligibility
  • Grants range from $300 to $1,600, based on household size, income and fuel cost
  • Additional crisis funds are available to help pay past due bills and to repair or replace furnaces

Get started by filling out an application. If you have questions or need to submit documents, please call us at 218.829.5000 (press 1 for energy assistance). You can also mail or drop documents at our drop box at the back entrance of the East Brainerd Mall at 716 E St., Brainerd, MN, 56401. You can also send scanned documents to energy@lssmn.org.