Our Training and Education Center (TEC) at the Center for Changing Lives Minneapolis offers free courses and workshops to help you build confidence, job skills and financial literacy.
We recognize the seriousness of COVID-19 and the impact this has on you, your family and the community at large. The health and safety of those we serve, our employees and volunteers are our top priorities. The Center for Changing Lives Minneapolis building, including the Open Computer Lab, will be closed to the public beginning at noon on Friday, March 27 and continuing through Friday, April 10 due to the stay-at-home order issued by Gov. Tim Walz on March 25.
*Please check back periodically for further updates. Note: If you contact the Center for Changing Lives Minneapolis front desk at 612.879.5200, you will be routed to a central LSS number where staff can answer your questions.
One-on-One Career Services
We offer free, individualized career support to help you gain the confidence, tools and focus needed to get the job you want. A career development facilitator can work with you to:
- Tailor Your Resume: Target your resume to get the interview you want
- Practice for an Interview: Complete a mock interview to receive honest feedback and encouragement
- Explore Credentialed Trainings/Career Pathways: Find a training that fits your interests and can boost income for you and your family
- Match Your Natural Skills to Career Opportunities: Explore O*Net to learn how your skills and talents match with the fastest growing careers in the area
- Boost Your Career Search with Social Media: Learn how to use LinkedIn to effectively network in your job search
Effective immediately, these services will now be provided through phone or video call communications only. If you would like to schedule a career service appointment, please email us at email@example.com.
Join our Virtual Job Club Connection!
Need some extra support and encouragement in your job search during this challenging time? Looking for accountability and a small group to share resources, job leads and set-backs with weekly?
This is a free, weekly drop-in time to connect with others looking for jobs. We will be offering this one-hour, weekly drop-in group over phone or video call. All are welcome! If you are interested and would like to learn more, please complete this interest form or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your first name, last name, phone number, and what dates and times work best for you.
LSS @ Walker Library
The Job Search Assistance event at the Walker Library has been canceled. Please check back for updates after April 30.
Join us for our employment workshops! Build your confidence, and gain skills for job search success. Come for any or all sessions that fit your needs. Learn about setting goals, creating resumes and cover letters, interviewing, networking and more! Attend just one workshop, or come every day.
Day 1: Creating Effective Resumes and Cover Letters
Day 2: Navigating Barriers to Employment and Excelling at Interviews
Day 3: Boosting Your Job Search with Online Applications and Tools
Workshops run from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the TEC computer lab. Registration is required.
Upcoming workshop dates:
Effective immediately, all employment workshops will be postponed through April 30. We will share details after April 30 about on-site workshops.
Northstar Digital Literacy Assessment
The TEC is now a registered Northstar testing location. Northstar helps build computer skills through online self-guided modules in key areas such as basic computer and internet skills, email, Microsoft software, social media and more! This program also allows you to demonstrate your knowledge by earning certificates. Check out their website for more information.
The Four Cornerstones of Financial Literacy Classes
This FREE Financial Course, offered every month, empowers participants with the skills and knowledge to achieve financial wellness.
- Budgeting to Create Savings: Create a workable budget that allows you to save and minimize “disasters” regardless of income level.
- Debt Reduction and Asset Building: Improve your debt-to-income ratio and keep risks low and returns high.
- Building a Good Credit Rating: Know how to read and fix errors on your credit report, improve your credit score and your ability to qualify for housing, a good vehicle and other purchases.
- Consumer Protection: Learn ways to protect yourself and your money. Learn about predatory financial scams and how to prevent identity theft.
Upcoming workshop dates:
Effective immediately, all financial literacy classes will be postponed through April 30. We will share details after April 30 about on-site classes.
There will be no Open Computer Lab hours from Wednesday, March 18 through Friday, April 10 due to the stay-at-home order issued by Gov. Walz on March 25. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to protect the health and safety of all that use our services at LSS.
The Center for Changing Lives Minneapolis brings people together, transforms lives and creates a vital community where individuals and families can thrive. Our services are located at:
Center for Changing Lives Minneapolis
Training and Education Center (TEC)
2400 Park Avenue South, 2nd floor
Minneapolis, MN 55404