Homelessness Prevention Assistance Screening
Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota is working with federal, state, and county partners — as well as other funders — to help individuals and families stay stably housed.
Our Homelessness Prevention program provides temporary financial assistance (e.g., rent, deposit, or utilities payment) to low-income families or individuals struggling to maintain their housing. The below screening is used to help us gather information about your household and your housing needs and to determine program eligibility.
Note: Filling out the form does not guarantee assistance. We're simply screening to see if we can serve your household.
Please read the following instructions before submitting your screening.
- For renters: If you currently receive rental assistance that adjusts with income (i.e., Housing Choice voucher, project based assistance, or another form of state or federal rental assistance), you are generally not eligible to apply for rental assistance in this program. You may still apply for assistance with eligible utility expenses.
- For homeowners: If you have a federally backed mortgage covered under the CARES Act (includes loans from such agencies as the Federal Housing Administration, Veteran’s Administration, United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac), you will be required to contact your mortgage servicer to obtain special forbearance, a loan modification, and/or set up a repayment plan. Visit this webpage on mortgage and housing assistance from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for more information.
Additionally, you may be required to submit the following documentation to LSS staff — please gather these items and have them on hand in case they are requested:
- A state-issued ID, driver's license, passport, ITIN, Tribal ID, or other from of ID. A picture of the document is acceptable. If you do not have an ID, there is an option for this below.
- Verification of balance owed (e.g., all pages of utility bill, past due rent/mortgage bill, etc.)
- Contact information for the organization to be paid (landlord, mortgage company, utility company, etc.)
- Proof of your total income from the prior four weeks
After you complete this form, you may be contacted for additional information before receiving final approval or denial. Due to a high demand for the program, applicants may experience wait times of several weeks or longer for screening review. Approvals are subject to funding availability. Thank you for your patience.
If you need assistance, please contact us at email@example.com or 612.879.5266.