Budget & Debt Management Counseling
Our nonjudgmental financial counselors are here to assist you with creating a plan so you'll feel confident in managing your finances. Take the first step by setting up an appointment today.
Our nonprofit debt relief services include:
- Credit card debt counseling.
- Reviewing your repayment options so you can manage student loan debt.
- Mortgage debt counseling.
- Reverse mortgage counseling.
- Collection debt counseling.
- Debt Management Plans.
Improve or achieve financial wellness by:
- Evaluating your current financial situation.
- Learning about your debt management options.
- Finding a path out of debt with our nonprofit debt management plan.
- Consolidating your payments — often with a lower interest rate — so you can start paying off debts faster.
Contact Us & Get Started
Our free and confidential services are available nationwide by phone or virtually. For in-person appointments view our office locations to find a location near you!
We have counselors who are fluent in English, Spanish and Hmong. Interpretation, Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD), and TeleTYpe (TYY) services are available as needed.
Phone, Virtual or In-Person Appointment
Call 888.577.2227 to schedule a phone or virtual appointment at a time convenient for you. Or set up an in-person appointment at one of our Minnesota or Wisconsin locations.
Please note: to limit the spread of the coronavirus, we are currently offering phone, virtual and online appointments only. We will reintroduce in-person appointments at a later date.
Get all your support by email.
To get started:
- Create your financial profile online any time of day with an email address and a password.
- Next, share your financial goal(s) and any other information you believe would assist us in understanding your financial circumstances.
- Then provide the amount of your household take-home income, balances and payment amount for credit card and unsecured debts, and monthly expenses. Click Finish to submit your information. Once submitted, your financial profile cannot be changed or updated.
- Finally, a counselor will email you within two to three business days to provide options and work with you to determine next steps to reach your goal(s).
If you are seeking guidance for student loan debt or housing issues, please call us at 888.577.2227 to schedule a phone appointment.
Please note: we do not provide retirement planning services or investment advice.
What Do I Need for Counseling?
In order for your financial counseling session to be most productive, it is helpful to have the following information available:
- Your monthly income.
- Typical monthly expenses.
- Statements from your creditors.
- Any other information you believe would be helpful in understanding your financial situation.
Don't have everything? Don't worry. Call us and we help guide you through the process.
What People Say About This Service
“I needed to take ownership of my debt as it was starting to affect my health. I didn’t want to do financial counseling because I didn’t want to be scolded and I felt a lot of shame and guilt. Then I met my financial counselor. My doubts were immediately put to rest! She didn’t judge me, ensured me I was not alone and that my financial well-being was indeed repairable. I was empowered beyond anything I could have imagined! I have paid off my debt and my physical health has improved tremendously.”
– Leon, Air Force veteran
“I am on a Debt Management Plan with LSS and I have to tell you, I got teary eyed when I read my statement today. Three years from now I could be debt free!! That is my new focus! And my goal will be to NOT take out or charge any new debt on credit cards. I am so sick of the vicious cycle and I can’t even tell you the tears I have shed over my financial situation. LSS was my lifeline when there was no other place to turn. I would be so honored if this statement could help even just one person make the decision to work with LSS.”
“I was at the point where I had nothing. I couldn’t pay rent. I owed more on my car than it was worth. While juggling payments I worked a second job. I was Googling ‘bankruptcy. I was frightened, and what was worse, I was ashamed. I started talking to one of LSS’ financial counselors, and I was ready to listen to anything she had to say. It felt like a lifeboat had come into my life. All of my debt was consolidated into one monthly payment. With the reduced interest, it was amazing how fast the bills got paid off – and ahead of schedule. Seeing my credit rating go up as the balances went down — that was sweet, too.” – Tim
“It’s been a pleasure working with LSS! Literally changed my life”.
“I had carried a large amount of credit card debt for quite some time, and it never seemed to go down much, and often would increase incrementally. I became uncomfortable with it, and when I found out about LSS Financial Counseling through my employer, I reached out for support and advice.
My financial counselor was great; he was pleasant and reassuring. Because my job was stable, I had a fair amount of savings, and my debt was perpetually accruing interest, he suggested that I focus on the debt and suggested options for doing so. I chose to pay off the by making larger payments over several months.
My credit card debt is now all paid off! It is very freeing to know that that this burden is now gone, and I can take the money I was using to pay down the debt and start building up again. Another benefit was a substantial increase in my credit score, allowing me to refinance my home at a much lower rate and saving me even more money.”
If you are looking for additional support with budgeting and managing monthly expenses, LSS Financial Counseling can help. Learn more about our budgeting from our Sense and Centsibility blog.
The Pyramid of Financial Wellness
Learn six steps to achieve or improve your financial wellness!