Understand Your Options to Prevent Foreclosure
Our experienced, HUD-certified, nonprofit housing counselors offer free, nonjudgmental and confidential support and guidance so that you can understand your options and rights to save your home or foreclose with a plan.
- Last year, 82% of homeowners who received our foreclosure prevention counseling were able to avoid foreclosure.
- Last year, 73% of our foreclosure counseling participants learned about additional housing resources.
- Last year, 79% of our foreclosure counseling participants worked with their housing counselor to develop a customized budget to assist them in stabilizing their situation.
*Data taken from monthly survey sent to individuals served.
How an LSS HUD-Certified Housing Counselor Can Assist:
- Review your current finances and give you a clear idea of your options and eligibility for a mortgage modification.
- Work with you to submit paperwork (including assistance with writing a financial hardship letter if needed) to your mortgage company to apply for a mortgage modification.
- Be sure you are taking advantage of available government programs to save your home.
- Help you postpone your sheriff's sale so you have more time to work out a solution with your lender.
- Answer questions and is there for you throughout the process.
Related Posts From Our Sense & Centsibility Blog
Missing monthly payments can adversely affect your credit and initiates the process towards foreclosure on your home. Fortunately, there are tools and remedies to help get you back on track.
A loan modification is often the most effective and common tool offered to individuals who are behind on their mortgage payments and trying to avoid foreclosure. It gets monthly payments back on track and makes those payments affordable.
Loan modification isn’t always possible if you are behind on your mortgage payments. You then face foreclosure on your home. Even then, there are strategies that can buy you time to get the mortgage back on track.
If you are facing foreclosure and your goal is to stay in your home, it is crucial to avoid a Sheriff’s Sale. Here are tips to help prevent this sale.
Get Started Today
Our free and confidential services are available nationwide by phone or virtually. We also offer in-person appointments across Minnesota.
We have counselors who are fluent in Spanish and Hmong. In addition, American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation is available as needed.