Get Back on Track with Student Loans
Having trouble paying off your student loan debt or understanding your student loan forgiveness repayment options?
Whether you are in school right now, in the process of paying off your loans, or helping someone else with their student loans, we are here to guide you through the options and assist you with developing a plan.
Our National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) certified student loan counselors offer guidance for federal student loans, state student loans, private student loans and student loan forgiveness programs. This includes seeing if you are eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) and talking about repayment plan options such as time-based and income-driven repayment plans. Without a plan, it can take years or decades to repay student loans and the interest accrued.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal governmental put a pause on federal student loan payments — also known as a forbearance — beginning with the passage of the federal CARES Act in March 2020. This means that borrowers can temporarily stop making student loan payments if they choose. This is a good time to evaluate your options and make a plan before your student loan payments are due again.
Due to open litigation surrounding the proposed student loan forgiveness program, student loan forbearance has been extended again. According to the U.S. Department of Education, "Payments will resume 60 days after the Department is permitted to implement the program or the litigation is resolved, which will give the Supreme Court an opportunity to resolve the case during its current Term. If the program has not been implemented and the litigation has not been resolved by June 30, 2023 – payments will resume 60 days after that."
Read the full press release here.
How an LSS Student Loan Counselor Can Assist
Our trusted nonprofit student loan counselors can assist in two ways: by providing free expert advice for student loan repayment and making sure you are aware of available resources to help ease the burden.
Our student loan counselors will:
- Explore student loan repayment options for all student loans and your potential solutions.
- Determine your eligibility for federal student loan repayment programs and loan forgiveness programs
- Support you with a holistic approach and in creating a budget to cover monthly expenses, including student loan payments.
- Work with you to contact private lenders to determine possible student loan repayment solutions.
- Help you come up with a plan to avoid default and the related consequences.
- Work with you to bring your student loans current if you’ve fallen behind on payments or are in default.
- Create an individualized action plan to help you regain control of your finances.
Contact Us & Get Started
Our free and confidential services are available nationwide by phone. For in-person appointments view our office locations to find a location near you!
We have counselors who are fluent in English, Spanish and Hmong. Interpretation, Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD), and TeleTYpe (TYY) services are available as needed.
Phone, Virtual or In-Person Appointment
Call 888.577.2227 to schedule a phone or virtual appointment at a time convenient for you. Or set up an in-person appointment at one of our locations.
Please note: we do not provide retirement planning services or investment advice.
Testimonials & Resources
Learn more about how we can assist you through some testimonials and additional resources.
What Do I Need for Counseling?
In order for your financial counseling session to be most productive, it is helpful to have the following information available:
- Your monthly income.
- Typical monthly expenses.
- Statements from your creditors.
- Any other information you believe would be helpful in understanding your financial situation.
Don't have everything? Don't worry. Call us and we help guide you through the process.