Understand Your Options
For some homeowners, a reverse mortgage agreement, that uses equity in a home to provide a source of income, can be helpful.
Our LSS financial counselors can offer impartial education and guidance to help you understand the pros and cons of obtaining a reverse mortgage.
We can also support you in understanding the process if you choose to move forward. We provide the latest resources so that you can avoid possible scams and fraud schemes.
Get started today!
Reverse mortgage counseling is confidential and available for Minnesota Residents. Choose the best option for you:
Phone or In Person Appointment
Schedule a phone appointment at a time convenient for you or an office appointment at one of our Minnesota locations.
Please note: to limit the spread of the coronavirus, we are currently offering phone appointments only. We will reintroduce in-person appointments at a later date.
Check to see if you are eligible by using the AARP reverse mortgage calculator.
To qualify for a reverse mortgage, you must:
- Be 62 years of age or older
- Own the property outright or have a small mortgage balance
- Occupy the property as your principal residence
- Not be delinquent on any federal debt
- Participate in a consumer information session given by an approved Home Equity Conversion Mortgage counselor
Availability & Fees
The fees for reverse mortgage counseling are listed below. Because of current grant funding, the reverse mortgage counseling fees for residents of Minnesota are waived at this time.
We are no longer able to provide Reverse Mortgage Counseling to non-Minnesota residents.
What do I need for counseling?
In order for your financial counseling session to be most productive, it is helpful to have the following information available:
- Your monthly income
- Typical monthly expenses
- Statements from your creditors.
- Any other information you believe would be helpful in understanding your financial situation.
Don't have everything? Don't worry. Call us and we help guide you through the process.