Understand Your Reverse Mortgage Options
For some homeowners, a reverse mortgage agreement, that uses equity in a home to provide a source of income, can be helpful.
Our HUD-certified housing counselors can offer impartial education and guidance to help you understand the pros and cons of obtaining a reverse mortgage.
We can also support you in understanding the process if you choose to move forward. We provide the latest resources so that you can avoid possible scams and fraud schemes.
Please note: Our Reverse Mortgage Counseling Services are only offered in Minnesota.
Check to see if you are eligible by using a reverse mortgage calculator.
To qualify for a reverse mortgage, you must:
- Be 62 years of age or older.
- Own the property outright or have a small mortgage balance.
- Occupy the property as your principal residence.
- Not be delinquent on any federal debt.
- Participate in a consumer information session given by an approved Home Equity Conversion Mortgage counselor.
What Do I Need for Counseling?
In order for your financial counseling session to be most productive, it is helpful to have the following information available:
- Your monthly income.
- Typical monthly expenses.
- Statements from your creditors.
- Any other information you believe would be helpful in understanding your financial situation.
Don't have everything? Don't worry. Call us and we help guide you through the process.
Get Started Today
Our free and confidential Reverse Mortgage Counseling Services are available to Minnesota residents by phone or virtually. We also offer in-person appointments across Minnesota.
We have counselors who are fluent in Spanish and Hmong. In addition, American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation is available as needed.