Banking options in one place
Manage your money by applying for a checking or savings account..
Check cashing services without a bank account can cost you up to $40 per paycheck, according to the Brookings Institute. Full-time workers could save up to $40,000 over their career by depositing money into an account instead of using check cashing services.
Although we are not a bank, we strive to support individuals’ access to bank accounts, particularly among people who have been underserved or gone without a bank in the past. Our partnership with Sunrise Banks and connections with other community resources allow us to offer you a one-stop-shop for accessing traditional bank products.
To discuss your banking options or apply for an account:
- Visit our St. Paul office at Lifetrack, 709 University Avenue West, Saint Paul, MN 55104.
- Call 651.771.2566, extension 253.
Types of Accounts
We offer two types of accounts through our partnership with Sunrise Banks (Member FDIC):
Special Thrift Savings Account
This account is only available through LSS Financial Counseling's St. Paul University location. We tailored this account to meet the needs of people with imperfect banking histories. Your credit history is not a factor in eligibility.
- No enrollment fee
- No minimum balance to open
- No monthly minimum balance
- Variable interest rate paid monthly on daily balance
- Quarterly statement fee of $1.50 (waived if you sign up for e-statements)
- Unlimited in-person and ATM withdrawals
- Six free electronic withdrawals per month*
*Federal regulations only allow six withdrawals or transfers to another account of yours or to a third party by means of a preauthorized or automatic transfer or telephone order or instruction, computer transfer, or by check, draft, debit card or similar order to a third party.
Primary Checking Account
This option is a personal checking account.
- $100 minimum balance to open
- Monthly maintenance fee of $5 (waived if you maintain a $200 average daily balance or have direct deposit into this account)
- Free e-statements or $1.50 monthly charge if you choose to receive paper statements (default for all accounts)
- Free MasterCard Debit Card
- Free Online Banking and Bill Pay
- Free welcome package of checks and deposit tickets
What to Bring / Required Documents:
- At least one of the following identification items:
- Valid Minnesota driver’s license or valid Minnesota State ID
- Valid Military ID
- U.S. Passport
- Out-of-state ID and valid Minnesota resident application receipt with current address (receipt must have been issued in the past 30 days)
- Social Security Number (required only for U.S. citizens)
- Phone Number
- E-mail address (if you do not have one, our staff can assist you in setting one up)