Sense & Centsibility Blog
Man looking at laptop screen and talking on cell phone

Disputing errors on your credit report

Having good credit is important for a variety of reasons, including insurance rates and interest rates on much more. You have the right to review your credit report for free, but did you know that you can dispute errors for free as well? Here's how...

Pull your report

First, go to; then pull your credit report from all three credit reporting agencies: TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian.

Review your credit report

Take a look and see if there are any reporting errors. Look at previous and current accounts to verify what you know. For instance, is there is a debt shown as unpaid when you paid it in full?

Dispute if you find an error

If everything looks accurate, then your work here is done. If you find something being reported incorrectly, however, then it's time to take action. Here are the steps you should take, courtesy of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB):

  • Contact the credit reporting agency that shows the error on the report as well as the company/creditor that provided the information. (You can use the CFPB's letter template below when sending your dispute to the company/creditor as well.)
  • Provide details of the account and information you are disputing.
  • Provide copies of supporting documents, receipts, etc. that support your dispute.
  • Keep copies of everything you send.

Online and phone disputes

By phone: Call the phone number provided on credit report or 866-349-5191.

By phone: Call the phone number provided on credit report.

By phone: (800) 916-8800

Disputes by mail

When mailing a dispute, include the following in your letter. (You can also download and use this free dispute letter template from the CFPB.)

  • Include contact information for you including complete name, address, and telephone number.
  • Include the report confirmation number, if available.
  • Clearly identify each mistake, such as an account number for any account you may be disputing.
  • Explain why you are disputing the information.
  • Request that the information be removed or corrected.
  • Enclose a copy of the portion of your credit report that contains the disputed items, and circle or highlight the disputed items.
  • You should include copies (not originals) of documents that support your position.

It's smart to send your letter via certified mail with return receipt requested so that you have proof it was received. And again, keep copies of everything you sent.

Mail your dispute form with your letter to:

Equifax Information Services LLC
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30348-0256

Use the address provided on your credit report, or mail your letter to:

P.O. Box 4500
Allen, TX 75013

Mail the dispute form with your letter to:

TransUnion LLC Consumer Dispute Center
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016-2000

Next steps

The credit reporting agencies have up to 30 days to: investigate your dispute, correct it (unless the claim is false), and notify you of the results. If it is determined a correction is needed, the furnisher (company/creditor providing account info) must provide the correction information to all 3 credit reporting agencies.

Pull your credit report again in another month to verify your report was updated with the correct info, if that was the outcome. You will have to pay a small fee for it this time (once a year it's free from, but it's still worth it to ensure your credit report has accurate information. (Because of COVID-19, the three bureaus are now offering free weekly online reports.)

LSS Financial Counseling is a Minnesota nonprofit helping people achieve and maintain financial stability.