Why Camp Noah
What Makes Camp Noah Special?
Disaster changes lives — especially for children. Whatever type of disaster or trauma they have experienced, children often need support to process what has happened.
A study published by the American Academy of Pediatrics titled The Psychosocial Implications of Disaster or Terrorism on Children states, "If children are helped to learn to cope with this stress, their symptoms subside. We can help our children live with this fear, adjust to it, and plan for the future rather than remain paralyzed in fear” (2005).
Camp Noah collaborates with local community partners to customize the programming to create specific approaches to non-natural disasters.
How Camp Noah Helps Children
During Camp Noah, a team of certified camp staff accompany campers through a proven resiliency building curriculum that enables children to process their disaster and trauma experiences. Each camp is customized to the local community and offers children a safe space to tell their stories and build the resiliency skills they need to move forward.
Camp Noah offers additional camp delivery models and curriculum, including:
- after-school and in-school enrichment programming
- remote/virtual camp programming
- Spanish and Vietnamese curriculum
- preschool modules
- parent component
Camp Noah is Fun with a Purpose
Camp Noah is a welcoming place where “kids can be kids” and connect with their peers. At the same time, it gives them the opportunity to process, learn and grow after a disaster. In 2016, 98 percent of campers surveyed learned two or more resiliency skills during Camp Noah, and 98 percent of campers said they had fun.
What recent campers say about Camp Noah:
- “I love how we learned in fun ways.”
- “I had a really good time and I learned I am special just the way I am and nothing can change that.”
- “This was the best week of my whole life so far!”
Also in 2016, 100 percent of parents said that they would recommend Camp Noah to other parents.
What parents have to say about Camp Noah’s positive impact:
- "My daughter feels safer knowing that the preparedness backpack she got from Camp Noah is ready to grab at any moment. At camp she made some really great friends who were dealing with similar loss."
- "Each day my son learned something new and was very interested and excited about sharing his day. He is no longer afraid when a storm comes. He shares with me how to stay calm."
- "This week gave my daughter a little more confidence to know that she has the skills and the knowledge to get herself through tough situations and that she can always talk about her feelings."
- "Camp Noah was an experience different from any other camp or instructional setting. Children were able to identify their feelings and work through them. This helped ease some anxiety from the additional stress they have been feeling."
- "My children were unsure about attending but after the first day they were so excited! They loved every day of camp. It is a great time for the kids to express feelings about events they are dealing with and a time for them to be kids and have fun."
Learn More about Camp Noah