Experience the rewards of offering a nurturing and supportive family setting for individuals with disabilities.
Contact Host Homes for more information
Share Your Home
LSS Host home providers are compassionate, caring, and dedicated; they provide a nurturing environment that supports personal choice for an individual with disabilities.
LSS matches host home providers to individuals with disabilities who desire to participate in family and community life.
Host home providers welcome matched individuals into their home and work together with
the individual, their family, and LSS to design and implement a plan for
like LSS backing me up, coaching and loving John is one of the most rewarding
and successful things I have ever been a part of.”
- James Schwenke, Host Home
A host home provider may be an individual, a couple, or a family with children. Host home providers can be anyone over the age of 21.
Host home providers are licensed through their county's Adult Foster Care Unit. Each county has a unique process of becoming a licensed provider. On
average, the process of becoming licensed foster home can take 2 – 6
months. LSS assists providers through this process.
Once licensed, providers are eligible to subcontract
under Lutheran Social Service’s 245b License. As a subcontractor for LSS, home home providers receive a percentage of federal and state waiver funding individuals receive for care.
Role of a Provider
Host Home providers work together with individuals, their families and their LSS host home coordinator to design and implement a plan for day-to-day living. With the support of an LSS host home coordinator, providers help individuals with:
- Social skills
- Money/budget management
- Personal hygiene tasks
- Home economic and time management skills
- Semi-independent living skills
All providers are asked to be home for normal sleeping hours but the level of commitment varies by the needs of the individual being supported.
Support for Providers
LSS believes strongly in providing the proper supports to ensure host home providers have a positive and rewarding experience. LSS provides host home providers with:
- Specialized training on topics such as CPR/First Aid, HIPPA compliance, medication administration, and more.
- Support during the Home licensing process, Home licensing and assistance establishing a home safety plan, including fire and tornado drills.
- Support in implementing the Individual Program Plan (IPP) and completing required documentation.
- Qualified, trained staff available to provide respite care when you are sick or are on vacation.
- On-going support and regular visits with a qualified support specialist.