If you are in need of immediate help, look for a SAFE PLACE sign or text ‘SAFE’ and your current location (address/city/state) to 69866 to find the nearest Safe Place location.
Safe Place locations provide immediate access to services and shelter 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you are lost or in a dangerous situation, dealing with abuse or neglect, having problems at home, with a drunk or unsafe driver, or just need to talk about a problem, go to the nearest Safe Place.
Look for the yellow and black, diamond-shaped “Safe Place” sign that identifies the safe location.
What happens at a Safe Place
- When you get to a Safe Place, tell an employee, “I need a Safe Place.” The employee will find a safe and comfortable spot where you can wait.
- Within 30 minutes, a Safe Place volunteer or youth outreach worker will arrive to talk with you – always ask to see their identification.
- The Safe Place volunteer will talk with you and help you figure out what options are available.
- If you need a place to stay, the Safe Place volunteer will take you to a Safe Place shelter. (No one will force you to go or stay at a shelter – the decision is always yours.)
- The law does require us to contact your legal guardian only to let them know you are safe. Remember that counselors will be there as objective third parties.