/ Youth Homelessness /
Safe Place Program
If you are under 18 and in need of immediate help in the Duluth area:
- Look for a SAFE PLACE sign
- Text ‘SAFE’ and your current location (address/city/state) to 69866 to find the nearest location
- View a list of Duluth Safe Place locations
Safe Place locations provide immediate access to services and shelter 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you are lost or in a dangerous situation, dealing with abuse or neglect, having problems at home, with a drunk or unsafe driver, or just need to talk about a problem, go to the nearest Safe Place.
Look for the yellow and black, diamond-shaped “Safe Place” sign that identifies the safe location.
What happens at a Safe Place
- When you get to a Safe Place, tell an employee, “I need a Safe Place.” The employee will find a safe and comfortable spot where you can wait.
- Within 30 minutes, a Safe Place volunteer or youth outreach worker will arrive to talk with you — always ask to see their identification.
- The Safe Place volunteer will talk with you and help you figure out what options are available.
- If you need a place to stay, the Safe Place volunteer will take you to a Safe Place shelter. (No one will force you to go or stay at a shelter — the decision is always yours.)
- The law does require us to contact your legal guardian only to let them know you are safe. Remember that counselors will be there as objective third parties.
About Safe Place
More services for youth in Duluth