Share Today. Shape Tomorrow.
Foster Grandparents provide one-on-one mentoring a few hours a week to at-risk youth to help them boost their self-esteem and overall success. In this role, you can positively impact the lives of children and youth, find a meaningful way to give back and earn extra income.
Since 1965, Foster Grandparent volunteers have shared their wisdom and experience with children and youth to make impressions that have lasted a lifetime. They are role models, mentors and friends.
Depending on need, volunteers support youth in a variety of settings including at public and private schools, Head Start locations, shelters and at day care centers.
- Meeting new people, learning new things and having the satisfaction of helping others
- A non-taxable stipend of $2.65 per hour (you must serve a minimum of 10 hours of service per week to qualify)
- Transportation reimbursement to and from your service site
- Orientation and ongoing training opportunities
- Recognition events
- Accident and liability insurance while volunteering
- Possible daily lunch on site
To qualify as a volunteer:
- No prior experience is required
- You must be 55+ and in good general health
- Have compassion, patience, flexibility and respect for children and others
- Work well with diverse individuals and families
- Have dependable transportation available
Get started today
To learn more about becoming a Foster Grandparent in your community, please complete our quick interest form.
LSS Foster Grandparents is a part of the national Senior Corps program, which is funded through the Corporation for National and Community Service.