Become a Senior Companion
Every day in communities across Minnesota, LSS Senior Companion volunteers are sharing their time and talents - enhancing the lives of older adults to stay active, healthy and remain living in their own homes.
By volunteering as a Senior Companion, you can make a positive difference by providing weekly visits that keep older adults feeling well – both physically and emotionally.
This LSS service is provided in partnership with AmeriCorps Seniors, formerly known as Senior Corps. This is a national service agency that connects volunteers who are 55+ with the people and organizations that need them the most.
Due to the current pandemic, Senior Companion services are currently being offered virtually via phone and video chat. We will transition back to in person visits and reintroduce transportation support when we can do so safely, following state and federal guidelines. We are currently seeking virtual volunteers for this service.
What Companions Do
Senior Companions provide non-medical support to older adults through weekly visits and:
- Offer encouragement, support and friendship
- Share hobbies and interests such as playing cards, doing a puzzle or going for a walk
- Provide transportation to medical appointments, grocery shopping and errands
- Assist with correspondence and simple household tasks
- Provide a break for family caregivers
Benefits of volunteering
- Do something new, meaningful and fun
- Be matched with someone who shares your interests
- Earn a non-taxable stipend of $3.00 per hour (with 10+ hours of service per week)
- Receive training that includes orientation, team meetings and workshops
- Meal allowance when required criteria is met
- Transportation reimbursement and accident/liability insurance while volunteering
To qualify as a volunteer:
- You must be 55+ and in good general health
- Have dependable transportation and be willing to travel in your service area
- Have compassion, patience and respect for others
- Be flexible and available with service activity schedule
- Work well with diverse individuals, families, groups and organizations
Get started today
To become a Senior Companion or learn more, please contact us or call 651.310.9440.
We are currently accepting new volunteers. To get started, we will collect your information and run the usual background checks first. Next, you will complete our online training and we will wait to match you with an older adult later, as appropriate based on COVID-19 recommendations.
Learn about becoming a Senior Companion partner site.
Senior Companion is part of AmeriCorps Seniors, a federal program. Since 1974, Senior Companion volunteers have shared their time and compassion with older adults in their communities.