Volunteer and Community Development VISTA
Help eliminate racism as a VISTA member at Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota (LSS). Design a volunteer recruitment strategy inclusive of all Minnesotans, creating pathways for equity and generosity through volunteering.
LSS is at an exciting tipping point in volunteerism. Engage our nearly 10,000 volunteers, service providers, and community partners to take volunteerism at LSS to the next level. With a keen eye toward equity in volunteering, join our team and share your vision through implementation of a pilot project while also shaping existing processes.
Major functions will include:
- Develop and pilot a project to recruit volunteers from under-represented populations, including people who are BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, and from generations such as Millennials and Baby Boomers. Drawing from existing and new partnerships with congregations and community organizations, identify pathways for meaningful volunteer experiences.
- Revise the Volunteer Handbook, incorporating “person-centered” language in order to convey LSS’s commitments to transformational relationships and social justice.
- Collaborating with partners across the organization, revamp the volunteer orientation process and create a training process for LSS staff who manage volunteers.
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Professional Development Allowance
Our employees believe their work is deeply meaningful. Be part of an inspiring mission, and grow your career with us! We’re also proud to be named a 2021 Top Workplace in Minnesota by the Star Tribune – a special designation that recognizes organizations whose employees give them high marks as a great place to work. At LSS, we foster what we call an ALIVE Workplace – one that is supportive, positive and fun! We encourage employees to take opportunities that build great teams by incorporating fun, creative and meaningful activities into their workday.
- Permits attendance at school during off hours
- Permits working at another job during off hours
Volunteer Services, Church Partnerships, and Development/Advancement
Communications, Community Outreach, Leadership, Writing/Editing, Social Services, Computers/Technology
The applicant should work well independently and in small groups, possess strong writing, communication, and organizational skills. The applicant should have experience with Microsoft Office software and be comfortable working both in-person and virtually. Some travel may be required. Mileage reimbursement and a professional development allowance will be provided. This VISTA will serve people through indirect service.
Lutheran Social Service Minnesota is a dynamic social service organization serving children, youth and families, people with disabilities, older adults and military veterans. Trustworthiness is a value and strength shared by our employees and recognized by the communities we serve.
Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota is an EEO/AAP employer. We actively foster an environment that is free of racism, discrimination, bias, and harassment where all individuals are treated with dignity and respect.
Program Start/End Date
October 1, 2021-September 30, 2022
Applicant should have a bachelor’s degree, or four years of relevant work experience, or a combination thereof.
August 1, 2021
Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota
2485 Como Ave St. Paul, MN 55108