Caregiver Support - AmeriCorps
In this volunteer role, you will visit older adults at their homes and in the community for a few hours each week. This allows family caregivers to take a well-deserved break to run errands, visit friends, attend appointments or just rest and recharge.
Helping to care for the caregiver has a direct positive impact on the lives of older adults too. By giving a few hours of your time each week, you can change lives. No prior knowledge is needed as training is provided.
As a volunteer companion you will:
- Offer encouragement and support to family caregivers and the older adults they support
- Do activities like shopping, running to appointments, playing games, going for a walk and more.
- Work with diverse individuals, families and organizations.
- Attend and participate in monthly development and reflection sessions with other volunteers
- Maintain activity logs and progress reports
Thanks to financial support from AmeriCorps, volunteer benefits include:
- Monthly $200 living allowance
- Qualify for a $1,600+ education grant award after 450 hours of service
- Can be used for a volunteer’s own education or to pay off student loans
- If you are 55+, your education grant can be gifted to a child
Commitment: 10 hours per week for at least 12 months
- Be over the age of 17
- Have a driver’s license
- Drive your own car and be willing to travel in the service area
- Pass a motor vehicle record check
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Must be a US national or a lawful permanent resident alien of the USA
- Must attend monthly in-service training
Please contact us: 218.233.7521, 800.488.4146 or firstname.lastname@example.org.